Transient Nomad

The meandering wanderings of the transient nomad. From Albania to Zimbabe in 2004.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I never really decided what I wanted to be when I grew up, so when I finally didn't, I took up a career in confusion. After struggling for many years I finally managed to create some order in my life then forgot where I'd put it. I seem to have spent the last few years wandering around aimlessley looking for it (the order, not my life), but at some stage stopped to pick something up of the street and eat it. Undoubtedly that was my downfall. I think I live in Sydney. My friends haven't seen much of me in the last few years. Some of them still recognise me. Occasionally I wake up in strange places and wonder how I got there. Melbourne is an interesting place and insurance workers drink a lot. Once I woke up in La Paz and went to see the firecracker display at midday only to discover it was tear gas canisters being fired into a protest crowd. When I found an internet cafe to write about it, a small mouse tried to run up my leg.

Sunday, September 05, 2004

Pigeon

If (perchance) you were to meet a retired Financial Planner (age=young), a Banker, and a drug dealer - How do you know which one is the REAL criminal?

Why do pigeons heads wobble when they walk? (Note to self. Do not throw food at Pigeons when sitting near glass window. Result=Pigeon makes loud bang as it misses food, hits window, scares crap out of all other pigeons in vicinity (causing major pigeon havoc and mass pigeon fright/flight reaction) and results in several tourists to leap from seats and run.)

And - If you jump off a rock into the sea, make sure there is another rock so you can jump back out of sea when 200M Long Cruise Liner COSTA VICTORIA Passes within 20 metres causing major water turbulence and several people (OK, maybe just one) to scramble onto sharp rocks and try to get out of water. (I think it was more the fact that a huge ship was bearing down on me than the water was rough).

Thursday was my half-way day. 54 days down, and (at this stage) 54 to go. This part of the world is incredible and I am thinking of heading to Albania, Macedonia and Turkey instead of re-visiting Italy later in the month.

I arrived in Dubrovnik on Wednesday and LOVE this place. It is just incredible here. My apartment is high up and level with the old city walls (the whole old town is UNESCO Heritage listed). I sit on my balcony and have the perfect (and highest) panorama over the whole of the old town and out over the Adriatic.

Cruise ships and sailing ships dot the harbour. I'm pretty sure Kerry Packer's boat came in yesterday (Although the boat I saw was called "ARCTIC" and I think his is the "ARCTIC P")

This really is the most amazing place and I am so glad I came. Must admit that it is a little of a tourist mecca and that is a bit overwhelming, having just come through places which were predominantly tourist free. There are more Irish and Aussies here than i've seen since leaving Sydney.

Bought my ticket to Italy today. Bus to Split tomorrow in time for the 5PM Ferry across to Ancona and to Milan in time for the F1 race on Sunday next week.

More soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home