Transient Nomad

The meandering wanderings of the transient nomad. From Albania to Zimbabe in 2004.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I never really decided what I wanted to be when I grew up, so when I finally didn't, I took up a career in confusion. After struggling for many years I finally managed to create some order in my life then forgot where I'd put it. I seem to have spent the last few years wandering around aimlessley looking for it (the order, not my life), but at some stage stopped to pick something up of the street and eat it. Undoubtedly that was my downfall. I think I live in Sydney. My friends haven't seen much of me in the last few years. Some of them still recognise me. Occasionally I wake up in strange places and wonder how I got there. Melbourne is an interesting place and insurance workers drink a lot. Once I woke up in La Paz and went to see the firecracker display at midday only to discover it was tear gas canisters being fired into a protest crowd. When I found an internet cafe to write about it, a small mouse tried to run up my leg.

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Kebab

Whilst some of you have been running multinational ventures, studying, rewriting HR policies, or slaying fire breathing dragons, I have been trying to wash KEBAB out of my jeans.

This was no ordinary Kebab stain. This has sent hairly legged Bosnian women screaming from thier laundries. It has kept Maytag engineers in a state of confusion. It was a kebab stain of mass destruction. Stop looking in Iraq George W. Visit the little shop in an arcade in Belgrade. After three washes it has nearly vanished from my jeans and the garlic odour dissipated. At least my jeans have had a wash and now fit me better.

When not washing Kebab Ive been getting on the wrong bus (fortunatley to realise at the last minute and get on the right one). Would have been rather dissapointing to end up where I had just come from and not go to where I intended. (Why change the predetermined path of my already chaotic life now, I hear some of you ask). It was not a blonde moment on my behalf. (And I have had many) The bus driver had pulled into the wrong bus-booth-thing.

I spent 3 days in Belgrade and from there got into Zagreb for two nights before arriving in Sarajevo - what an amazaing place. Although the pension I was meant to stay in had the address of a derelict building (read "destroyed by bombing in war"). Fortunatley the suspicious looking guy who followed me for a while was actually the owner and was waiting in the coffee shop opposite to take me to his "other pension".

In Sarajevo - Buildings are still riddled with bullet holes and the whole place is still recovering. Currenty in Mostar which is just as incredible. Staying in a pension here on one of the rivers. They have only recently reopened the "old Bridge" Stari Most and it makes a spectacular sight.

I attempted to climb one of the local mountains here for a decent panoramic view but had to turn back due to the "MINE" and Skull and Crossbone signs around the place. From here onto Dubrovnik and Split and the ferry to Ancona before in arriving in Milan around 7/9.

1 Comments:

Blogger 3rd daughter said...

for some reason your kebab stains reminded me of the carpet stains under the desk of that total w*nker i had sit with in my first few weeks at loftus street. (his name escapes which is probably a good thing but i will now have to go and drink a bottle of vodka to erase the memory.)
sounds like you're having a lot of fun.
p.s. please tell shane to update his blob - i totally loved his responses your first two emails and i want to see more!

31 August 2004 at 9:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home