Transient Nomad

The meandering wanderings of the transient nomad. From Albania to Zimbabe in 2004.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I never really decided what I wanted to be when I grew up, so when I finally didn't, I took up a career in confusion. After struggling for many years I finally managed to create some order in my life then forgot where I'd put it. I seem to have spent the last few years wandering around aimlessley looking for it (the order, not my life), but at some stage stopped to pick something up of the street and eat it. Undoubtedly that was my downfall. I think I live in Sydney. My friends haven't seen much of me in the last few years. Some of them still recognise me. Occasionally I wake up in strange places and wonder how I got there. Melbourne is an interesting place and insurance workers drink a lot. Once I woke up in La Paz and went to see the firecracker display at midday only to discover it was tear gas canisters being fired into a protest crowd. When I found an internet cafe to write about it, a small mouse tried to run up my leg.

Monday, August 16, 2004

Bags of news....

Lucky for us, our African Safari included around 6 hours a day of walking. Thats quite a lot.

This was good, as it put us in good practice for arriving in Budapest, where we arrived rather late at night and got into a taxi which took us to the wrong hotel on the right Island. Unfortunatley it was now 1AM and the right hotel was on the wrong side of the island to where we were. The other good news was that the island road was closed so we weren,t going to be going there in a taxi. 1AM in the morning is a great time for a 2.5KM Walk.

It was also great news (in the case of the long walk home) that British Airways had LOST our luggage. (Not sure how they lost julies case - our plane flew from cairo with a list) - Otherwise we would have been walking with that too. Our luggage enjoyed its extra two days in Heathrow and met up with us later.

Speaking of luggage - when we arrived in Cairo and the little (literally) man offered to help Julie with her luggage, the first thing he asked when he tried to lift it was "What do you have in here? An Obelisk?"

As sure as death and taxes, Schumacher wins and Minardi doesnt. I don,t actually know the end placings (and can,t find the apostrophe on this keyboard) but the race was great. We sat between a group of immigrant Latvian potato farmers from the northern Hungarian town of ZOBGLAT (Too small to be on the map) who had arrived in thier 1940,s flatbed truck for the day, and who had obviously never seen women before. It didn,t take them long to start to grope everything in sight, until the group of Drunk Germans arrived, one of which had a vision problem which resulted in his eyes staring at the chests of every woman from 14 to 90 within a 50 metre radius.

This morning Julie sent herself off to Vienna and this evening I am off to Brassov in Romania to work out where I go next. Will meet up with JR again in Milan for Monza around the 7th September.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home