Transient Nomad

The meandering wanderings of the transient nomad. From Albania to Zimbabe in 2004.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I never really decided what I wanted to be when I grew up, so when I finally didn't, I took up a career in confusion. After struggling for many years I finally managed to create some order in my life then forgot where I'd put it. I seem to have spent the last few years wandering around aimlessley looking for it (the order, not my life), but at some stage stopped to pick something up of the street and eat it. Undoubtedly that was my downfall. I think I live in Sydney. My friends haven't seen much of me in the last few years. Some of them still recognise me. Occasionally I wake up in strange places and wonder how I got there. Melbourne is an interesting place and insurance workers drink a lot. Once I woke up in La Paz and went to see the firecracker display at midday only to discover it was tear gas canisters being fired into a protest crowd. When I found an internet cafe to write about it, a small mouse tried to run up my leg.

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Training In Romania

I got incredibly drunk with Richard Wagner on the train from Budapest to Brasov. He wasn't the actor or the composer but a Romania local who was employed to do something very well paid and seemingly illegal by a chinese man who had to live in Berlin so the Romanians couldn't find him.

In Brasov I stayed in an apartment with 2 finns, 2 swedes and a big hairy SPaniard who looked like Robert Di Niro.

One day Robert Di-Niro guy and the others met up with two italian girls (who were always late, last or lost) and visited a castle. Our driver looked like Gene Hackman (or was it Dr. Phil). On the train to Belgrade I sat opposite a guy who bore an uncanny resemblance to Richard Attenborough.

Brasov in Romania was nice enough and I spent 4 days in the area before coming to Belgrade. I got in trouble on the train and was shouted at by a large female Romanian train conductor who had obviously ingested a little too much testosterone.

I was only going through a chain locked door because I thought it was the way to the bar carriage. After she chased me back to my cabin I realised that this train HAS no bar. A fourteen hour trip with no alcohol to compensate for Richard Wagner and the 12 hour trip with too much alcohol.

I have one decent pair of jeans that fit me well for a week (or so) of wearing and then start indicating thier need for a wash by growing a size or two and becoming loose. I knew they needed a wash the other day when they fell off me (while i was eating an ice cream) in the middle of Belgrades main shopping strip.

Will leave Belgrade tomorrow and head for Zagreb with the intention of heading down to Split and on to Dubrovnik where I should have time to visit Sarajevo and then head across the adriatic to Italy.







1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your blog have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like
to shoot you an email. I've got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.

my weblog :: best registry cleaner

27 May 2013 at 2:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home