Transient Nomad

The meandering wanderings of the transient nomad. From Albania to Zimbabe in 2004.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I never really decided what I wanted to be when I grew up, so when I finally didn't, I took up a career in confusion. After struggling for many years I finally managed to create some order in my life then forgot where I'd put it. I seem to have spent the last few years wandering around aimlessley looking for it (the order, not my life), but at some stage stopped to pick something up of the street and eat it. Undoubtedly that was my downfall. I think I live in Sydney. My friends haven't seen much of me in the last few years. Some of them still recognise me. Occasionally I wake up in strange places and wonder how I got there. Melbourne is an interesting place and insurance workers drink a lot. Once I woke up in La Paz and went to see the firecracker display at midday only to discover it was tear gas canisters being fired into a protest crowd. When I found an internet cafe to write about it, a small mouse tried to run up my leg.

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Baa Baa Baksheesh.

Egypt is reminiscent of the India in terms of culture and smell. The heat is unnatural. The people welcoming, curious and somewhat forward with foreign women (not that I'm a woman - just speaking from experience). I could have walked away from Egypt with 2 Million Camels and NO Julie, but politley refused.

In Egypt, you drive wherever you want, however you want, as long as you flash your lights and toot your horn a lot.

In Egypt, chaos reigns and efficiency is something that pops its head up when its good and ready. There is a time and a place for everything and everything has a time and place. There is a job for everyone, and if there isn't, someone will make one up. Wether it be the three year old selling boxes of tissues in peak hour Cairo Traffic (18 million people, 20 million cars) or the man who hands out the toilet paper at the airport. Everyone has something to do. And with that - Comes BAKSHEESH! - You pay for every service. The driver, the guide, and the holy ghost (and all his attendants and porters and waiters and shoe shine boys).

But all in all egypt is a fascinating place, we toured the pyramids and got the overnight train to ASWAN and visited temples and islands. We flew into Abu Simbel for 2 hours, and that afternoon boarded our 'four star' cruise boat to sail to Luxor. They got the 'cruise boat' bit right but two of the stars had fallen off in the last 10 years or so. I think the cockroach I saw in our cabin was a little dissapointed that he had company.

In Luxor we visited Karnak and Luxor Temple, the Valley of the Kings and the temple of Queen Hot Chicken Soup (or something like that). Whatever - she was important and built things.

The two of us had our own personal guide who travelled with us for four days. Yahia was an absolute legend and we were both a little sad when he left. The place wouldn't have been the same without travelling with someone so knowledgeable about the history.

Another 8 hour stopover in London today and out to Budapest tonight for the F1 race this weekend (Am I HAPPY about that!!). More in the next week or so.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home